So 10 days ago I moved into my new home. A few days later the town had a huge thunderstorm (with 5+ inches of rain). That storm resulted in my new finished basement flooding. I’ve probably got at least 30k worth of damage. And as most of you know home owners insurance doesn’t cover sewer back-up unless you have a rider (which I do, but only for standard 10k). When the restoration crew pulled up the carpet they noted that the space had clearly flooded before. The sellers disclosure indicated that there had been some moisture but that the issue had been resolved. When I requested more information I was told it was a sump pump failure (which I know happens and is typically isolated). Apparently the sellers didn’t fix the underlying issue has they claimed. The sump pump wasn’t replaced, nor was it rerouted as every plumber I’ve talked to said it should have been. I’ve probably got 3-5k of plumbing work to prevent something similar happening in the future. I’ll also note that one of the plumbing issues is something my home inspector should have caught.
I just share this because I’m mostly frustrated that the sellers concealed the real issues. I may have purchased the home anyway, although not for the same price, and I would have had the plumbing issues corrected prior to moving in. I’m going to consult with a real estate attorney about potential next steps, but I suspect it’s unlikely I’d win a case again the sellers and they don’t have any money anyway. So I’m stuck. Obviously I’m heart broken that all my savings will be used to correct an issue that should have been more appropriately disclosed, especially when I was brutally honest in my own disclosure because I didn’t want my buyers to face any nasty surprises upon move in.