As if COVID hadn’t done enough for my husband and I, between our cancelled wedding and two canceled honeymoons, we got a call at 5pm on a Friday from our builder saying “pay us $28k or walk. Oh and by the way, we need an answer by the weekend.”
They essentially told us we already have $130k in equity and that no one should get to have that much before they even close on the house.
Unfortunately, this being a new build, the contract does have a clause for “unacceptable material price increases at sole discretion of seller”. So they are claiming lumber increases, and refusing to provide me the bill of lading or any documentation showing how they got $28k.
I will also state that they didn’t start framing until I called at 6 months to complain that we were supposed to be closing in July(now delayed, obviously). They paid more for the lumber because they waited. This is a crapshoot they caused and we unfortunately have to pay for. We signed in October, and our sales guy gloated to us that our base price went up 3 months later by $60k.
We will be looking at our resale house options this morning before agreeing to pay the mob. Unfortunately, we will likely have to pay because this is the home we spent days designing.
Oh, and did I mention we are in the middle of IVF? My review of this builder is already written, now I just need to edit this piece in.