I wanted to make sure I updated those that were interested. Series of events to follow:
– Monday: I emailed our realtor asking for further explanation as to how they arrived at that additional brokerage fee amount, and said that we would feel much better if we had some some documentation to that effect. I also let them know I would be emailing the lender to keep them informed.
– Realtor responded within 10 minutes with the explanation that it was the remainder of the unpaid brokerage fee, that they were very sorry it had to be done this way, and that they totally understood that we wanted some kind of invoice.
– Emailed the lender and informed them of the situation, they eventually responded and said they would forward the information to someone. No help.
– No contact from the agent until Thursday (yesterday) afternoon to let us know that they were going to the house to check on the completion of our repair requests. They again apologized for the additional fee and said this was only the second time they had run into this situation. We again responded with the request for an invoice.
– Today: My wife arrives to the closing appointment, and wouldn’t you know it, she was told that additional fee was actually already included in our cash to close amount! Imagine that!
Happy ending. We are now the proud owners of an amazing house, and didn’t pay any sketchy off-the-books fee. Really looking forward to the completion of my training so I can enjoy it. Thank you very much to all the folks that provided advice!