We are buyers in a long (closing November) escrow. Seller works for the escrow company. The process has been a nightmare, with seller constantly threatening to back out and delaying things, but slowly we’ve checked off boxes. Appraisal was just cleared and we are set to remove all contingencies (already removed inspection).
The escrow company withheld the preliminary title report for weeks. Seller’s agent told ours (in writing) that they preferred not to release it until after inspection contingency was removed. Reason: we know the seller, and they said that it’s personal information they didn’t want us to have if we weren’t moving forward. When we finally received it, there are some liens but nothing that would impede us from getting a clear title.
I didn’t think much about it at the time but seems to me the escrow company isn’t fulfilling their duty to be a neutral third party. I’ve been uncomfortable with them from the beginning (always seem annoyed at our questions, seller’s agent told us they keep telling seller they can get more for their property).
I’d like to request changing escrow companies or having seller pay escrow fees (or at least have our fees discounted). Is that plausible? Seems like seller could just say no and we’d only be able to walk away which we don’t want to do. We want this house.
Curious what the best way to go about this is, or if I should just leave it alone. If I were to make any requests, is it best to do those before or after removing the final loan and appraisal contingencies?