Bought my house last year, sold it for $150k more than I paid for it, so walked away with about $100k after selling fees. I’m happy with that. But I feel like I would be essentially losing all that money if I buy in again now. The market is definitely softening – I saw that coming and rushed to get my house sold in the right window. There is one house I do like in eastern WA, I made an offer at asking price with normal inspection contingencies, etc that was accepted. Seller had not received any other offers after having the house on the market for 2 weeks.
My reason for moving is that I want to be in the mountains on acreage, and to move from a high tax state (MD) to a low one (WA). I work completely remotely, and have for 7 years now. I can live anywhere I want, there is no chance of me having to live a certain place for work.
Does it make sense to just put my stuff in storage, do monthly Airbnbs wherever I feel like going, and wait for things to die down? It already seems like it’s slowing down hard. I wouldn’t want to buy if things are still overvalued, which they seem to be. Happened to sit next to a mortgage underwriter local to the eastern WA area on a flight recently, and he advised not to buy anything in that area this year, as a good sized correction is coming next year. Do you guys agree with that sentiment?