We were suppose to close last Friday, Jun 4, but our realtor called us on May 30 (Sun) to tell us that one of the sellers’ sibling passed away in a drunk driving car accident in Florida, and the sellers have to pick up the sibling’s two young kids. They would need more time to close on the house. We told them to let us know.
Then there was dead silence until we asked our realtor on June 2 (Wed) if there is any update on a closing date. During that few days, I googled fatal car accidents in Florida, and I did not find anything that occurred in the early morning of May 30 (Sun). I found the sellers’ realtor on Facebook, and she happened to tag the sellers on a post. I found the sellers’ daughter’s Facebook, and her posts suggest that they were in New Orleans on May 28 on route to Florida. They were also on a college tour on Jun 1.
Is it normal for both realtors not to give an update for so long? We did not rush or hurry them. We just want to have a closing date.
The sellers’ realtor then replied to say the funeral is on Jun 4, and the sellers will be back to move. She is hoping and planning for closing on Jun 8. She had rescheduled movers for them to move their things to a rental on Jun 6 and 7.
Well, we received a text from our realtor today to say that they are still struggling to clear the house. She asked if we want to delay closing or allow them to continue to move stuff out until a proposed time. We can take possession of all the belongings (legally but not enforceable).
What the heck are we suppose to do as buyers? We do not want them to leave us a mess to clean up. They are definitely not the kind of people we want to deal with after closing either. We want a clean close date, and we are tired of the constant delays. Any ideas/tips/recommendations?
Our realtor just keeps asking us what we want to do.. Right now, we moved the closing to Jun 10.
Lastly, our bank sent us the closing cost for the house on Jun 4. Today, they sent us a different amount for the closing cost. It includes an additional real estate transaction fee of $350 to our realtor’s broker that came from the title company. Is that normal?
TLDR: Trying to buy a house in OK from sellers who are going through divorce. Sellers keep delaying closing. Any tips on how we can get them to close?