Seller couldn’t move out in time and delayed closing into June, increasing our cash due at signing

Tl;dr: Seller couldn’t move out on time and we had no choice but to move closing date into June. Amount we will pay overall didn’t change but now cash due at signing increased by $2000. We can pay it, but can we seek monetary damages from seller to pay for this major inconvenience of crushing our monthly budget? How much?

Full story:

Was supposed to close on a house today 5/31 at 9am. Seller couldn’t get belongings out in time and informed us at 6pm on 5/30 there was likely gong to be a problem but offered no alternative time except “before 4pm”. We refused their offer of a walk through with their belongings on the property and refused to let them store their belongings for 1 day. We live 100 miles away and had to already payed to canceled our morning movers and weren’t able to reschedule in the afternoon that day.

So we had no choice but to postpone the signing until 6/1 and our real estate agent encouraged us to seek monetary damages for movers, hotel, and pet boarding. We have asked them for $800 and we have receipts but we don’t think they will agree. Agent says if they don’t then file a small claim. OK that works..

Now, on to the main problem: because the closing was pushed into June it change our cash due at signing by about $2000. The math makes sense and we’re not paying extra overall, just extra at closing because now we pay June and July mortage instead of one day in May and June mortage at closing .

We have the money to pay and but this severely affects our monthly budgeting and will cause things to be tight this month. Can we seek monetary damages for this as well? And if so what is fair?

submitted by /u/jtothewtothes
[link] [comments]

Tl;dr: Seller couldn’t move out on time and we had no choice but to move closing date into June. Amount we will pay overall didn’t change but now cash due at signing increased by $2000. We can pay it, but can we seek monetary damages from seller to pay for this major inconvenience of crushing our monthly budget? How much? Full story: Was supposed to close on a house today 5/31 at 9am. Seller couldn’t get belongings out in time and informed us at 6pm on 5/30 there was likely gong to be a problem but offered no alternative time except “before 4pm”. We refused their offer of a walk through with their belongings on the property and refused to let them store their belongings for 1 day. We live 100 miles away and had to already payed to canceled our morning movers and weren’t able to reschedule in the afternoon that day. So we had no choice but to postpone the signing until 6/1 and our real estate agent encouraged us to seek monetary damages for movers, hotel, and pet boarding. We have asked them for $800 and we have receipts but we don’t think they will agree. Agent says if they don’t then file a small claim. OK that works.. Now, on to the main problem: because the closing was pushed into June it change our cash due at signing by about $2000. The math makes sense and we’re not paying extra overall, just extra at closing because now we pay June and July mortage instead of one day in May and June mortage at closing . We have the money to pay and but this severely affects our monthly budgeting and will cause things to be tight this month. Can we seek monetary damages for this as well? And if so what is fair? submitted by /u/jtothewtothes [link] [comments]

<a href="Read More“>View Full Article

Need More Commercial Real Estate Leads?SAVE 40% this month!

Our commercial valuation calculator was created to evaluate commercial real estate. In 6 quick steps you will know your NOI, CAP RATE, and IRR.

Now you can get your own branded version of our calculator!