Background: My mom and I (28M) are about to purchase a house in East Coast, US. This is the first time we are buying a home and we don’t have any friend or anyone who can give us some advice about buying a house. So please forgive me if I don’t know anything/terms that used when buying a house.
Two weeks ago, my mom and the house owner just agree on the price of the house and my mom already signed the contact not to sell the house to anyone. At that time, all I saw was the picture of the house online. I didn’t have a chance to go and look inside the house.
Before my mom give the 5k deposit to my realtor, we want to see the house first. So we made an appointment with our realtor to look at the house last Saturday. When that Saturday comes, we just realized that the seller and the home owners still haven’t give our realtor the permission to go inside the house. Because of that, I wasted 4 hours of driving and didn’t get to see what is inside the house in the end. Because the home owner knows that I was coming as my mom’s son, I feel like may be they see me as a transaction risk. In the end, my mom had to give 5k deposit before I can look at the house.
On that Saturday, I was reading more information about the house and it appears that there is a “dampness slight seepage 2021” in the basement, with additional comment of “dehumidifier used.” I am extremely concern about this. I didn’t even know about the seepage before my mom was making the deal with the seller/realtor.
Right now, all I know is that the house is about 90 years ago, how the house looks from the outside and inside based on the online pictures, and there is a “slight” seepage that just happened this year.
Because of my concern, I told my realtor to hire both general home inspector and the professional foundation engineer to look at the house this coming Saturday. But in the end, the engineer refused to come because he/she will only come after the general home inspector says there is something with the basement.
My concern is because we are getting the house inspector from our realtor, I feel like there might a conflict of interest. I feel like he might get a general home inspector who will help my realtor sell this house.
So far, this realtor doesn’t seem to be that professional. After all, my mom met this realtor while she is waiting to look at the last house that we want. At that time, because his client wasn’t there and my mom’s realtor was late, he opened the house for her to see and in the end, she signed the contract with this realtor.
Please help me on where I should go from here. Should I get go ahead and hire another general home inspector on my own to look at the house?