Here’s the deal. We spent over a year working with a Realtor (Realtor A) who’s also a friend. They showed us multiple places over this time and we eventually went under contract twice with this realtor on new builds which untimely fell apart due to long delays and other things outside of this realtor’s control.
Prior to engaging with this Realtor to buy a home I had promised a different Realtor (Realtor B)and neighbor the listing to sell my existing home. Realtor B sold my home quickly and was wonderful to work with.
After pulling out of two builds with Realtor A and selling my home with Realtor B, I was in a holding pattern. Jaded and living with family just trying to get my bearings when I get a text from Realtor B about a house in the same community I was going to build in about to hit the market. It was a bit of a pocket listing. She asked if we wanted to see it and we said yes. We ended up loving it at the showing and walked out of the house to no less than 17 people standing in the yard waiting to get a look at it. We decided to put an offer in on the house and got it. We are scheduled to close with Realtor B in a few weeks.
We never had a written agreement with Realtor A but we feel horrible about this and would like to offer them some form of compensation for all the work and time they invested. In the end we didn’t have a problem with Realtor A but Realtor B found the right house in the right place at the right time and we didn’t feel like we had time to confer with Realtor A who was out of town at the time anyway.
We’re trying to figure out how much we should offer Realtor A and welcome any insight.
The house we purchased was $600k and the houses we were under contract with Realtor A on we’re both in the same range. I’ve asked a few friends and have heard figures from $500 to $3000 and just can’t land on what’s fair.