Less than 24 hours until closing and it’s being delayed due to a tax lien. Very worried. Am I in trouble?

I’m the buyer (US). My realtor and mortgage broker informed me after I made an offer on a house that there is a lien on it and the sellers would accept the offer if we pushed back closing to 6 weeks instead of 30 days so they could resolve it. I love the house and was able to accommodate timing wise so I said yes to a later close. Closing was set for 5/24 and we just received the clear to close so my broker bumped up closing to tomorrow. They had me wire the closing cash to title yesterday, and tomorrow all the papers were going to be signed. It’s much earlier than what was agreed upon but I was happy and figured the sellers managed to resolve everything quicker otherwise my broker wouldn’t have bumped up the date.

Now today my agent called and informed me that the sellers haven’t yet resolved the tax lien so we can’t close tomorrow. They are “hoping” it can be done within the next couple of weeks. I’m disappointed but it’s fine because the sellers were going to have until 5/24 anyway. However, I’ve been looking into tax liens and now I’m concerned that this could drag past our original closing date and become a problem. Some people on here have had this drag on for a couple of months.

My agent and broker are basically saying let’s just wait and see what happens and if they’re not ready by closing then we file an extension. I’m worried it will become messy. Has anyone had a similar experience? At what point should I get a real estate attorney involved? Or am stressing myself out over nothing? Sorry, it is my first house and I’m anxious so I appreciate any input/advice! Thank you.

submitted by /u/zarkles
[link] [comments]

I’m the buyer (US). My realtor and mortgage broker informed me after I made an offer on a house that there is a lien on it and the sellers would accept the offer if we pushed back closing to 6 weeks instead of 30 days so they could resolve it. I love the house and was able to accommodate timing wise so I said yes to a later close. Closing was set for 5/24 and we just received the clear to close so my broker bumped up closing to tomorrow. They had me wire the closing cash to title yesterday, and tomorrow all the papers were going to be signed. It’s much earlier than what was agreed upon but I was happy and figured the sellers managed to resolve everything quicker otherwise my broker wouldn’t have bumped up the date. Now today my agent called and informed me that the sellers haven’t yet resolved the tax lien so we can’t close tomorrow. They are “hoping” it can be done within the next couple of weeks. I’m disappointed but it’s fine because the sellers were going to have until 5/24 anyway. However, I’ve been looking into tax liens and now I’m concerned that this could drag past our original closing date and become a problem. Some people on here have had this drag on for a couple of months. My agent and broker are basically saying let’s just wait and see what happens and if they’re not ready by closing then we file an extension. I’m worried it will become messy. Has anyone had a similar experience? At what point should I get a real estate attorney involved? Or am stressing myself out over nothing? Sorry, it is my first house and I’m anxious so I appreciate any input/advice! Thank you. submitted by /u/zarkles [link] [comments]

<a href="Read More“>View Full Article

Need More Commercial Real Estate Leads?SAVE 40% this month!

Our commercial valuation calculator was created to evaluate commercial real estate. In 6 quick steps you will know your NOI, CAP RATE, and IRR.

Now you can get your own branded version of our calculator!