I have been looking to purchase a larger home for about 4-6 weeks and have already been outbid/lost 3 offers – nothing new or unexpected in this market. I am using an agent to help facilitate this process and I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the process and would like some advice. I have worked with the agent in the past and they have been helpful every time I have used them, including right now. I am comfortable working with them and trust their judgment and choices. I’m currently under an exclusive agreement to use this agent as offers have already been submitted.
The frustration comes from overall delayed/slow responses to viewing requests for houses I am ready to put offers on. When gathering MLS listings, I send over between 1 and 5 listings at a time and ask if it’s possible to see the houses within 48 hours. Often times, I’m told that they will look at their schedule and I never hear back. Just yesterday (7/15) I asked about seeing a house nearby either yesterday or today (7/16). The agent said they were unable to see the house yesterday but would get back to me about seeing it today. I responded that any time after 4pm would work for me. No response until I ask at 2pm today if anything is available. I’m told nothing is available. This makes it extremely hard to plan and see houses.
I’m 100% the one bringing houses to the table, I’m not referred to any houses or given ideas. A few MLS queries were set up and I go through the e-mails I receive and send back what I would like to see. I’m okay with this but it seems very disconnected especially when I have to chase down a response on viewing timelines. Given the current market, houses have gone under contract before I even get a response about seeing them.
Initially, the agent was very responsive and helpful.. working hard to get as many viewings as I wanted. As the weeks went on (admittedly only a month or so), it feels like I have to work to even see a single house. It feels like the agent is either too busy to accommodate these viewings (I haven’t been told this) or unmotivated to stay on top of the requests. This seems very out-of-character for this agent based on my previous interactions. When I go out to viewings with the agent, they are extremely helpful and I have their full attention and guidance. It’s just getting to that point has been a challenge.
I’ve tried to look at my options and it seems I am limited to three:
Ask for a different agent at the same firm
Ask to be released from the exclusive agent contract
Wait out the contract (November 2021)
I think the agent is either the owner or one of the top-level agents at the firm, so I don’t really have someone else to go to about switching. I’d also like to not burn bridges or start any confrontation, but I’m looking at houses on MLS that are going under contract while I am sitting and waiting for a response for viewings.