Situation: Closed very recently and had torrential rain over the weekend that resulted in water coming into crawl space through chimney and running down rafters. Local roofers did emergency tar patch and are coming back to give assessment of inside damage. Roof is newer but prior to the sellers that sold to me. Contacted municipality and they had no record of roofing permit so no idea what was done. The rafters seem to be retaining moisture near the chimney and some wood looks rotted or has growth, so this issue is likely not new. Home did have inspection but inspector thought the damage looked historic and was related to period prior to roof replacement. Not sure whether or how much moisture got into insulation. May need to have mold or mildew assessment/abatement to know. This problem was not listed on property disclosure report.
Once I hear from roofer how much this could be, do I file homeowner’s claim and fix before winter? Do I wait and see how the patching holds up or will that undermine any insurance claim? Any other advice on areas to look into as I deal with this to possibly cover my butt? Having just closed and moved a long way I’m pretty strapped for extra funds but doing things right is important as I don’t want to screw myself now or in the future when I go to sell. Haven’t spoken to insurance yet just paid for tar patch out of pocket.